Diets, exercise, and cleaning your garage. These are all things that top many people's list of 2013 resolutions. But beyond these old, tired goals are some fresh, new ways to make an even greater impact.
So in light of the new year, we've come up with 10 ways you can start off 2013 right as you simplify your giving, multiply your impact, and glorify God.
Here are a few generosity ideas that we love:
- Plan a monthly community service opportunity for your family − Spending time serving in your community not only glorifies God, but also has the potential to strengthen your family relationships. We're sure you'll find yourself overflowing with joy through this selfless activity!
- Research a new ministry to invest in this year − Charity Navigator and Guide Star are great resources for news and information on philanthropy, nonprofit organizations, wise giving, donating money, charitable donations, and charity ratings. Be sure to check them out!
- Ask your pastor or ministry leader for opportunities to share your testimony − This can be a bit intimidating to some, but what better way to encourage and bless others than through sharing your spiritual journey.
- Use your Giving Fund to set up recurring grants to your church or favorite ministry − Your Giving Fund is the perfect way to make a consistent investment in ministries and charities around the world.
- Plan a mission trip − Whether for three days or three weeks, traveling outside of your comfort zone to help others will not only deepen your spiritual life but will also give you a greater appreciation for cultures outside of your own.
- Set aside a specific time each week to teach your children the values of good stewardship − This can help you discover how you and your children can start a life-changing dialogue about money now to ensure that your wealth will be a blessing for generations to come. Download our book Family Money for free for more resources regarding family stewardship.
- Read through the Bible this year − There is no better commitment than choosing Jesus and diving into the Word. If you don't already have a plan, join us as we read the The Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan together.
- Organize a Giving Circle with a few of your friends − Joining together in community to pool resources and share ideas is a great way to grow friendships and learn generosity while making an even greater impact for the Kingdom!
- Set up a corporate giving program if your company doesn't have one already − Encourage your office to incorporate some kind of giving program to provide opportunities to improve the lives of individuals in your community, including your coworkers.
- Read a new stewardship book − In a world that doesn't always value Christ-centered financial habits, it's always a good idea to keep Godly stewardship fresh on your mind. We recommend checking out Russ Crosson's book The Truth About Money Lies.
Hopefully, you'll find these resolutions encouraging and inspiring. Have more ideas on how to start the New Year with generosity? Be sure to leave a comment! We'd love to hear from you.
Wishing you a happy New Year from the NCF Team!